Saturday, June 28, 2008

I love fireworks!

Each year my husband Jay, along with some good friends, gets the genuinely fun but dangerous job of setting off the fireworks at Freedom Fest in Janesville. Our life-long friend, Kirk Overturf, is the man behind the dizzingly spectacular show and it has been a real privilege to watch his love for blowing things up grow from the somewhat disturbing arsenal in the trunk of his car at my wedding seventeen years ago to this hugely popular show that is attended by tens of thousands of people each year. Last night's show was particularly grand and I'm not just saying that because of my obvious bias; applause could be heard everywhere for a full ten minutes after the absolutely ridiculously fantastic grand finale.

**Updated July 2 with photos of the men in action - photo credits to follow
My husband Jay among the flames

Jay and his friend, Freedom Fest's fearless pyro-tech leader, Kirk

More Jay, more explosions

Kirk - bringing joy to thousands by doing what he loves to do - blow things up!



Freedom Fest 2008Rosemary's point of view during the show

2 comments:

Mary Maggie said...

Wow! Spectacular photos! :)

Fireworks Wisconsin said...

Looks like a battle field out there, thank you for the behind-the-scenes photos of the fireworks show! I put on a few shows annually myself.

Sam Davis
CEO Wisconsin Fireworks LLC