Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Howard!

Yesterday was Mother's Day and it's always a great day to share with your mom how much she means to you and if you're a mom to be told you are special, but yesterday was more than that for me. Yesterday was my Grandpa Johnson's 100th birthday. This is a milestone more and more people are meeting, but this was a first for our family. Over the past six months I have been helping my grandpa more and in this time asking him to share stories with me. It's sad that I just thought of asking him for these stories, but I'm so glad I did and I'm so glad he's able to remember!

My Grandpa, Howard Johnson, was born in Sparta, WI just down the road from his future wife, Florence. He lost his mother when he was seven and finished school after the eighth grade. He worked several jobs in the Sparta aread, but moved to Janesville, WI when he was 18 because there were better jobs in Janesville and several of his friends and relatives had already moved there. Florence followed soon after and they were married after a short time. Howard and his older brother, Harry, got jobs at General Motors and were part of the sit down strike in 1937. He had already been at GM for 10 years. After 20 years at GM he left to buy a dairy farm. He and Florence loved the work of the farm. They truly worked together as farmers, with Florence handling the finances and Howard working the land and caring for the animals (although he will give her credit in helping with everything).

After 30 years of farming they decided to retire and buy a small home only a few miles from their farm. I believe this was so they could keep an eye on the new owners. Even today my grandpa drives by every week wondering what's going to become of his old farm. Howard and Florence had three children who gave them 8 grandchildren and countless great-grandchildren and even some great-great grandchildren. In retirement Howard and Florence traveled the country in their motor home seeing all but two states and visiting countless relatives and friends. They even occasionally took along their grandchildren:)!

My Grandpa lost the love of his life seven years ago after a long battle with Alzheimer's. They were married for 72 years! Grandma lived for years in a nursing home with Grandpa at her side nearly every day. Even in her confusion his love made her happy and being with her made him happy. Seeing their dedication to each other through such tough times has shown me what being married is really about.

Today my grandpa still lives in that small home out in the country. He is visited daily by friends and family. He still drives. His drivers license is good till he's 108. He cares for himself, but always loves when someone sends over a home cooked meal. He still shops at grandma's favorite store, Woodman's and follows his Cubs on the radio waiting for a World Series win. Yesterday my family joined him at church and I was blessed to see the love his church has for him. This is yet another reminder to me to be a part of a congregation that shows its love for each other like his does.

I hope you too have someone to look up to and remind you of what's important. Go today and find a parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent and have them share with you about "the good old days." Write down these stories and share them with the next generation!

Laura

No comments: